Microsoft Azure’s Networking division is designing, building, and operating critical network infrastructure our clients rely on every day, transforming a pile of servers into a connected cloud. We are responsible for ensuring the reliability of these networks, in the face of constant change, relying on cutting-edge research and a stellar engineering team. We have built a large cloud thus far but the best is yet to come as we continue expanding at a rapid pace. Our division is responsible for a large diversity of technologies and challenges, including software defined networking, software load balancing, physical fiberoptic cables, software managing how to route packets across a global network as fast as possible, Domaine Name System (DNS), protection against Distrubuted Denial of Service (DDoS), and many other challenging problems. We’re looking for Software Engineer II's and leaders passionate about delivering value to customers in mission critical environments, enjoy a growth hacking culture, and are eager to play one of the most important long games for Microsoft.
You will work with other teams in Azure Networking, participating in architectural and design reviews, and delivering your components with high quality. You will also have opportunities to collaborate across the broader Azure organization and with external Microsoft customers. There is high visibility in an area of large and expanding investment for Azure, offering a terrific opportunity for technical and career growth.
In Azure Networking, you own features from the design phase through implementation to production. As part of this ownership, you are expected to help support your features by actively participating in an on-call rotation, which includes creating/updating Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), Troubleshooting Guides, monitoring systems, mitigating/restoring network incidents, and deep-dive analysis of root causes of outages.
- OR equivalent experience.
- 2+ years' experience writing object-oriented code in at least one of the following languages: C#, Java, C++, Python, Java, Go.
- Security Clearance Requirements: Candidates must be able to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings:
- The successful candidate must have an active U.S. Government Top Secret Clearance with access to Sensitive Compartmented Information (SCI) based on a Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI) with Polygraph. Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. Failure to maintain or obtain the appropriate U.S. Government clearance and/or customer screening requirements may result in employment action up to and including termination.
- Clearance Verification: This position requires successful verification of the stated security clearance to meet federal government customer requirements. You will be asked to provide clearance verification information prior to an offer of employment.
- Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
- Citizenship & Citizenship Verification: This position requires verification of U.S. citizenship due to citizenship-based legal restrictions. Specifically, this position supports United States federal, state, and/or local United States government agency customer and is subject to certain citizenship-based restrictions where required or permitted by applicable law. To meet this legal requirement, citizenship will be verified via a valid passport, or other approved documents, or verified US government Clearance
- Efficient and effective design and coding skills
- Deep knowledge of data structures, algorithms, asynchronous architectures and distributed algorithms.
- Experience in concurrency, multithreading and synchronization is a plus.
- Knowledge of network security is a plus.
- Highly effective written and oral communication skills.
- BS, MS, or PhD degree (or equivalent) in Computer Science / related field (or an additional 4 years experience in lieu of degree) is preferred.
Software Engineering IC3 - The typical base pay range for this role across the U.S. is USD $94,300 - $182,600 per year. There is a different range applicable to specific work locations, within the San Francisco Bay area and New York City metropolitan area, and the base pay range for this role in those locations is USD $120,900 - $198,600 per year.
Certain roles may be eligible for benefits and other compensation. Find additional benefits and pay information here: https://careers.microsoft.com/us/en/us-corporate-payMicrosoft is an equal opportunity employer. Consistent with applicable law, all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, immigration status, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran or military status, race, ethnicity, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable local laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application process, read more about requesting accommodations.