Microsoft Azure’s Silver Hyperscale Networking Team is designing, building, and operating critical network infrastructure our clients rely on every day. We are responsible for ensuring the reliability of these networks, in the face of constant change, relying on cutting-edge research and a stellar engineering team. We have built a large cloud thus far but the best is yet to come as we are continue expanding at a rapid pace with a focus on 400G and large scale Data Centers in support of AI. In addition, our division is responsible for a large diversity of technologies and challenges, including software defined networking, software load balancing, physical fiberoptic cables, software managing how to route packets across a global network as fast as possible, Domain Name System (DNS), protection against Distrubuted Denial of Service (DDoS), and many other challenging problems. We’re looking for engineers and leaders passionate about delivering value to customers in mission critical environments.
You gather requirements, design solutions, prototype them in a lab environment, pilot them in production, document, and operationalize the chosen solution. You will also develop automation required to enable mass network deployments and managing the overall network configuration. As a cloud network engineer, you are given great independence to manage your projects and engage with the necessary teams to drive it to success in a collaborative and adaptive environment essential for us to scale at cloud speed.
In Azure Silver Hyperscale Networking, you own features from the design phase through implementation to production. As part of this ownership, you are expected to help support your features by actively participating in an on-call rotation, which includes creating/updating Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), Troubleshooting Guides, monitoring systems, mitigating/restoring network incidents, and deep-dive analysis of root causes of outages.
You will work with other teams in Azure Silver Hyperscale Networking, participating in architectural and design reviews, and delivering your components with high quality. You will also have opportunities to collaborate across the broader Azure organization and with external Microsoft customers. There is high visibility in an area of large and expanding investment for Azure, offering a terrific opportunity for technical and career growth.
In our team you own features from the design phase through implementation to production. As part of this ownership, you are expected to help support your features by actively participating in an on-call rotation, which includes creating/updating SOPs, Troubleshooting Guides, monitoring systems, mitigating/restoring network incidents, and deep-dive analysis of root causes of outages.
5+ years technical experience in network design, development, and automation
OR Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering, Optical Engineering, Computer Science, Engineering, Information Technology, or related field AND 2+ years technical experience in network design, development, and automation.
OR Master's Degree in Electrical Engineering, Optical Engineering, Computer Science, Information Technology, or related field AND 1+ year(s) technical experience in network design, development, and automation.
- 2+ years experience working with Layer 2 protocols, Layer 3 networking with IP, as well as routing protocols such as Open Shortest Path First (OSPF)/IS-IS, Border Gateway Protocol (BGP), and Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS).
- 2+ years experience troubleshooting across a variety of networking platforms including, but not limited to, Cisco, Juniper, and Arista.
- 2+ years experience scripting using Python.
- Security Clearance Requirements: Candidates must be able to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings:
- The successful candidate must have an active U.S. Government Top Secret Clearance with access to Sensitive Compartmented Information (SCI) based on a Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI) with Polygraph. Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. Failure to maintain or obtain the appropriate U.S. Government clearance and/or customer screening requirements may result in employment action up to and including termination.
- Clearance Verification: This position requires successful verification of the stated security clearance to meet federal government customer requirements. You will be asked to provide clearance verification information prior to an offer of employment.
- Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
- Citizenship & Citizenship Verification: This position requires verification of U.S. citizenship due to citizenship-based legal restrictions. Specifically, this position supports United States federal, state, and/or local United States government agency customer and is subject to certain citizenship-based restrictions where required or permitted by applicable law. To meet this legal requirement, citizenship will be verified via a valid passport, or other approved documents, or verified US government Clearance
- Highly effective written and oral communication skills.
- A strong collaborator, attentive listener, calm under pressure, earn confidence from others and be adaptive, since a candidate’s role may span a variety of traditional roles, such as design engineer, deployment engineer, operations engineer and project manager.
- Understanding of software architecture with the ability to articulate software requirements to teams of Software Developers.
- Strong scripting skills (Python, PowerShell and C# are preferred, but not a strict requirement) for automating day-to-day tasks are a strong plus.
- BS, MS, or PhD degree (or equivalent) in Computer Science / related field (or an additional 4 years' experience in lieu of degree) is preferred.
Cloud Network Engineering IC3 - The typical base pay range for this role across the U.S. is USD $94,300 - $182,600 per year. There is a different range applicable to specific work locations, within the San Francisco Bay area and New York City metropolitan area, and the base pay range for this role in those locations is USD $120,900 - $198,600 per year.
Certain roles may be eligible for benefits and other compensation. Find additional benefits and pay information here: https://careers.microsoft.com/us/en/us-corporate-payMicrosoft is an equal opportunity employer. Consistent with applicable law, all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, immigration status, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran or military status, race, ethnicity, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable local laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application process, read more about requesting accommodations.