The Industry Solutions Engineering (ISE) team is a global engineering organization that works directly with customers looking to leverage the latest technologies to address their toughest challenges. We work closely with our customers’ engineers to jointly develop code for cloud-based solutions that can accelerate their organization. We work in collaboration with Microsoft product teams, partners, and open-source communities to empower our customers to do more with the cloud. We pride ourselves in making contributions to open source and making our platforms easier to use.
We develop solutions side-by-side with our customers through collaborative innovation to solve their challenges. This work involves the development of broadly applicable, high-impact solution patterns and open-source software assets that contribute to the Microsoft platform. In this role, you will be working with engineers from your team and our customers’ teams to apply your skills, perspectives, and creativity to grow as engineers and help solve our customers’ toughest challenges.
We are hiring a Machine Learning Engineer with deep experience and expertise designing and delivering solutions using modern software engineering practices and cloud technologies. You will be working side-by-side with customer engineers to build innovative solutions. As part of our team, you will thrive in working with a variety of technologies, not just Microsoft technology. You will solve exciting business problems, contribute to open source, and collaborate with Microsoft product teams.
At Microsoft, we are seeking people who have a passion for the positive impact technology can have on communities and for making a difference in the world. Within ISE, you will find a wide range of backgrounds, perspectives, personal and cultural experiences which are vital to our success with our customers. It’s an informal and flexible work environment and you’ll be welcome to work in the way that best enables you to get your job done.
Our team prides itself on embracing a growth mindset, inspiring excellence, and encouraging everyone to share their unique viewpoints and be their authentic selves. Join us and help create life-changing innovations that impact billions around the world!
Microsoft’s mission is to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. As employees we come together with a growth mindset, innovate to empower others and collaborate to realize our shared goals. Each day we build on our values of respect, integrity, and accountability to create a culture of inclusion where everyone can thrive at work and beyond
Understand User Requirements
- Working hands-on with our most strategic customers from design through implementation of AI applications, setting examples for good engineering and software development practices along the way.
- Utilizing traditional, deep learning, and generative ML capabilities to solve critical customer problems
- Reviews the code of a product to assure it meets the team's and Microsoft’s quality standards, is reliable and accurate, and is appropriate for the scale of the product/solution area. Applies feedback to current and future iterations. Participates in code reviews to ensure coding standards are followed. Considers diagnosability, reliability, and maintainability when reviewing code, and understands when code is ready to be shared or delivered. Applies and screens for coding patterns and best practices in reviews, and provides feedback on code to drive adherence to best practices.
- Leverages subject-matter expertise of product features and partners with appropriate stakeholders (e.g., project managers) to drive a workgroup's project plans, release plans, and work items. Organizes work into smaller sets of tasks as part of an overall roadmap. Guides other members for project estimation and escalates any issues that would cause a delay.
- Modeling our core values and being a great teammate to help other engineers become better problem solvers, architects, communicators, and collaborators.
- Exhibiting technical leadership across the broader ISE organization, with the Microsoft product teams, and the open-source community.
- Continuously building your technical knowledge and improving our ability to deliver quality solutions by evolving our engineering process and technical capabilities.
- OR equivalent experience.
- 2+ years of hands-on experience with any of the following: popular machine learning frameworks (e.g. pytorch, tensorflow, scikit-learn) and /or cloud platforms.
Additional or Preferred Qualifications
- OR equivalent experience
- Able to communicate complex AI concepts and solutions to technical and non-technical audiences
- Passionate about learning new AI skills and staying updated with the latest developments in the field
- Experience with cloud services, preferably Azure
- Experience with rapidly prototyping software tools and experimentation aids
- Previous experience in a customer-facing role
- High tolerance for ambiguity and context switching
- Hands-on experience using ML models in real-world environments
- Self-motivated team-player, good communicator, embrace challenges, and keen to learn
Software Engineering IC4 - The typical base pay range for this role across the U.S. is USD $112,000 - $218,400 per year. There is a different range applicable to specific work locations, within the San Francisco Bay area and New York City metropolitan area, and the base pay range for this role in those locations is USD $145,800 - $238,600 per year.
Certain roles may be eligible for benefits and other compensation. Find additional benefits and pay information here: https://careers.microsoft.com/us/en/us-corporate-pay
#ISEngineeringMicrosoft is an equal opportunity employer. Consistent with applicable law, all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, immigration status, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran or military status, race, ethnicity, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable local laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application process, read more about requesting accommodations.